Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spending

No, this is not a post about money.

A recurring theme in my life of late has been doing...more specifically doing good.

In the past week I have read:

Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Titus 3:8
This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

I could add more, but I think you get the picture.

Sunday morning I was challenged by a sermon on Revelation 3. I felt like the pastor was talking to me when he said...you can't just sit there, being lukewarm is NOT an option. DO something.

MAYBE the Lord is trying to tell me something...YA THINK??

I had an awesome time in the word yesterday that centered around Isaiah 58:10

If you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.


I don't blame you if it doesn't jump off the page and hit you smack dab between the eyes upon first inspection. It took me a while too. ;)

But look at the words...spend yourselves...UM...there it is again...DOING.

Up until yesterday my response to the Lord's command to DO was to come back to the Lord and say...What about ME. How is spending myself going to take care of ME? Aren't I DOING enough?

The Lord answered those questions with this passage.

In Isaiah 58:6-11 the Lord promises if you spend yourselves he will

* Be your light in the darkness
* He will guide you
* He will satisfy your needs
* He will strengthen your frame
* You will be like well watered gardens

There He goes, taking away all my excuses again! ;)

No, really. I have been struggling with a decision for a week and the Lord used these verses and many other circumstances in my life to point me in the right direction. Specifically.

What is the Lord calling you to DO? How are you going to spend your life? I don't know about you, but the thought of being like a well-watered garden sounds good to me.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ashley-this was so encouraging! I so resist being 'poured out like a drink offering' glad to see the promise connected to that surrender! So, hmmmm, does that mean in the middle of the night I'll have the energy of noon?