Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Seasons

So....I am not a fan of change. I like a schedule. I have a weekly routine with chores, meetings, and ministry stuff. This all works out well for 8 months of the year when students are around and life is crazy busy. But right about this time of year I start to loose steam, and then graduation comes and we have to say goodbye to students who we have come to love and are a part of our family. I DON'T LIKE IT.

When one thing in my routine gets thrown off the other things inevitably follow. I start dropping balls all over the place. The laundry doesn't get done, othodontist appointments are missed, I forget what day of the week it is. I am a MESS!

But I am coming to the realization that it really is OK. Things come in seasons for my life, it has always been that way now that I think about it. Moving a lot when I was younger, making new friends. It seems like even in our married life the same thing has happened. We have now lived in PA longer than we have lived anywhere else in our 10 year marriage. But the nature of campus ministry is change.

I recently completed a personality in leadership test and one of the encouraging things it came up with for me was to realize that "mentoring for the moment" is ok. There is no possible way someone with my personality can actively keep up with all the people/students in my life.

This concept is so freeing to me. I can get up in the morning and have one job...to love the people in front of me, and let the Lord work out the other details.

THAT is something I can rest in.

See these girls... (they all all dressed up for a dance they were in together)


I LOVE THEM.

Although I will miss them terribly, I know the Lord has BIG plans for their lives. I am honored, and blessed to have been a "mentor for a moment" of their lives.

No comments: