Monday, October 12, 2009

Resisting the Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit has been on my mind a lot lately. I am currently doing the Beth Moore study on the fruit of the spirit in my own study time and the small group bible study that I have been leading for a few students is going through the book of Acts. It is a neat combination. I can read about the fruit and then see it in action in the lives of the apostles in the early church.

Last week in small group we talked about the stoning of Stephen in Acts 7. One verse from that passage has been resonating with me this week.

Acts 7:51- You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

These are pretty tough words Stephen hurdles at the Sanhedrin.

I have to be honest, they pierced me as well. I know full well that I can slip into being stiff-necked almost without realizing it. You know the hard-hearted feeling I am talking about. It happens most often when I am tired, overwhelmed, and too busy to find time to spend with the Lord. I choose to resist the Holy Spirit instead of being filled with it.

It reminds me of something Caed told me when he was 4. He has always had impulse control issues. Controlling his body when he is angry is hard, especially when he was younger. We were talking about it one time after an episode and he told me "Mommy, it is like there is a different, ugly Caed that comes out and I don't like it"

I know exactly how he felt.

Take a few minutes with me this Monday morning to bow your heart to the Lord and ask to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

No comments: