Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Self-Control

UGH

Can we PLEASE skip this aspect of the fruit of the Spirit?

No...OK.

I have been learning about self control this week in my bible study.

I read this last night:

"Self control enhances effectiveness; self indulgence limits effectiveness. Many of us will never fully affect this planet in the ways God planned because of our sheer lack of self-control and discipline. Any effectiveness may seen random and accidental."

Beth Moore- Living Beyond Yourself


OUCH, that hurt.

My heart's desire is to be a tool in the Lord's hands as He accomplishes His plan on this earth. Does this mean my lack of self-control has a direct effect on the Lord's plan for my life?

You betcha.

I went on to study two people in the bible. One had little to no self control: Samson. The other was an example of spiritual discipline that led to blessing: Daniel.

Samson was set apart from birth to serve the Lord, but threw it all away for self indulgence.

Daniel's discipline in everything from the way he chose to eat to the the way he worshiped God led many to believe in the One True God.

*One man assumed the power of God and ultimately lost it. One asked for the power of God and ultimately found it.

*One man was victorious in his death, the other was victorious in his life.


Yeah...so...There are some changes I need to make in my life.

YOU?

1 comment:

Marcus Goodyear said...

I don't know. I'm not ready to dismiss Samson as someone the Lord couldn't use because Samson lacked self-control.

In fact, I see it from the opposite perspective. Samson had a miserable life because he lacked self-control. But God used him to do great things nonetheless.

Daniel on the other hand, seems to have been more at peace. And God used him too.

Just thinking it through here, but I'd say self-control is God's gift to us rather than something God needs from us.