Saturday, January 8, 2011

Memories in the Present

I am currently working on a post about Christmas (and by working on I mean THINKING about starting to work on) until then I wanted to share something that Greg recently wrote and share some pictures. :)

God is generous with His love and abundant with His blessings. He is also generous in providing moments... opportunities to see and experience His holiness and goodness.



Life is filled with moments. I love to live in the moment. I love to plan and organize those moments, too. A favorite kind of moment-- more special than others-- is when I can be in the moment yet also stand at a distance and watch a memory in the making. A moment is just a memory in present tense.



Last night after a nice family dinner, Ashley put some cookies in the oven and we played a board game with with kids. It was quiet outside and snow was on the ground. Inside, only some quiet background music and the kids' laughter filled the air. After they went to bed I curled up with my bride on the couch and watched a movie while sipping hot chocolate. Though we had two blankets, we shared them both.



Today began with a gentle snowfall and some time worshiping God. The kids went outside to play in the snow and I used the down time to send some emails and work on a few other things. I was watching out the window at Cole stomping through the snow with a grin from east to west on his face. Abigail was kicking up snow and Caedmon was throwing snow at her. Ash was staying warm in my sweatshirt outside and capturing those moments on film. As I wrote some emails I was listening to Saviour King on repeat and meditating on the anthemic repetition



And now the weak say I have strength

By the spirit of power that raised Christ from the dead

And now the poor stand and confess

That my portion is Him and I'm more than blessed



Let now our hearts burn with a flame

A fire consuming all for your Son's holy name

And with the heavens we declare

You are our king

We love you Lord, we worship you

You are our God, you alone are good



As I write this, the kids are back inside. I'm still listening to Saviour King and experiencing renewal of His grace. And I am awakening to the realization that loving my family and cherishing His goodness in these memories, these moments, is yet another act of worship.

No comments: