Monday, March 7, 2011

More Jubilee Reactions

Greg here. I asked our students to flesh out some of the key things they learned at the Jubilee Conference in Pittsburgh a couple weekends ago. Here are some sound bites...

Jubilee was definitely a life changing experience for me. I learned so much about myself, God, and what God wants from us as Christians. I learned that we can serve God in our everyday lives no matter where we are or what we chose to do with our lives in the future. God changes the world through changed people. As long as we accept God into our hearts and allow Him to work in us and through us, he can use us anywhere and in any type of setting. Jubilee also taught me that Jesus uses unlikely people to do incredible things.
- Sarah T.

I can confidently say that attending Jubilee was one of the best weekends I have had since coming to college.
I strengthened my relationship with God and I strengthened my relationship with other Arcadia students who were able to attend.
I really appreciate everyone that made a contribution that helped me get to Jubilee; it was a blessing that I was able to attend and I will be forever grateful of their generosity.
- Katie

Gideon Strauss led a discussion on how Americans, Christians included, get too caught up in fast politics.
…biblical politics should be able to cross party lines since there are Christians on both sides. Political theories may differ, but biblical values should largely be the same.
- Josh

I tore my ACL and some other things in my knee in November 2010. I've been unable to play basketball this entire season. So the Steeler's punter told us a story about how he had torn his ACL earlier in their season. He talked about the struggle of not being able to play especially during the Superbowl. Standing on the sideline, wishing and desiring to be there in a jersey with his name on the back, he realized right then the lesson God had been so long trying teach him. His identity lied in the Pittsburgh Steelers above Christ. God's message just overwhelmed me at this point as I thought about all the ways in which I had placed basketball before God and... all the ways I put more effort into my team than in my relationship with Christ.
- Ash

The weekend of Jubilee as a whole was a great experience! I was very interested in the breakout session related to the music industry and feel that its title was appropriate: A Career in Music: Calling or Oxymoron?
...our intentions of glorifying God and His holiness should be the foundation of our music.
- Jeff

After going to Jubilee last year I knew it was something that I had to go back to again. This year I learned so much about myself and who I am in God. One of the plenary speakers used the Hebrew word 'tselem' which means 'made in God's image'. This weekend really reinforced that God made me to be me and nothing should change that. God sees all of me and considers me beautiful because those scratches and dents have brought me closer to Him. I am first and foremost a child of God and my identity is with Him.
- Emily

Although this was my second time at Jubilee, I still had that “kid in a candy store” feeling. It really is overwhelmingly exciting for me to be surrounded by thousands of Christians that want to live so vibrantly for God.
... Dr. James Emery White... addressed issues such as “functional atheism” in our world and how we, as Christians, are fighting a war of thoughts and ideas. He spoke about how we need to read, read, read, and reflect so that we’re essentially “thinking God’s thoughts, after Him.”
- Niquelle

I will begin with a single word and move outward from there. Identity. I must be honest I still struggle with who I am but Jubilee made it incredibly clear to me that my identity lies in Christ. To the core of my being I am a child of God and that realization alone I know will be enough to sustain me in the hardest of times and it is what facilitates the joy that awakens my heart.
- Candace

I have been uncertain of future plans for a while, but after going to the session discussing Mathematics through the lens of faith I have a renewed sense of how my vocation can honor God.
...I have been affirmed in my desire to move forward to graduate school without feeling that I'm wasting 'Kingdom Resources' in the meantime.
- Dave

God broke my heart for what breaks His. I was heart broken for the people all across the world that are living in poverty and desolate conditions, but what could I do? I am just a young woman living in suburban PA after all. Combining my passion for serving God and healthcare, I realized that I could use my skills to fight the injustices happening right here in Philly. You don't need to go far to find poverty, just drive down Broad Street.
- Sarah K.

God is at work!

No comments: